Home > The Dark Triforce - A Fan Theory

The Dark Triforce - A Fan Theory

Posted on 6/24/2013 by Austin Dickson

The Dark Triforce

As a rebuttal to an article I read - I am writing about an idea that one of my staff members gave me, The Dark Triforce. The Dark Triforce may or may not exist but the theory stems from the A Link Between Worlds logo, you know, the piece where the dark triforce appears underneath the normal one. So just what could this other triforce be and how could it change the future of Zelda?

So how did the Dark Triforce come to exist? While none of this has been confirmed in ANY capacity, maybe during A Link Between Worlds at one point Link comes across the remnants of a portal to the Dark World that is left over from A Link to the Past and tries to enter said portal. Upon entering the portal, Link effectively splits the present day world back into the Light and Dark worlds and this also splits the Triforce into two separate entities - the Light and Dark Triforce.

A Link Between Worlds Art

Before going into any theory concerning the Dark Triforce - lets first take a look at what I will deem the "Light Triforce." Each part of the Light Triforce is broken up into different meanings - Courage, Wisdom, and Power and each holds specials powers. Link traditionally holds the Light Triforce of Courage, which is said to give the protection against evil magic. Now let's say Link enters into a realm - the Dark World per se - similar to the Twilight that was part of Twilight Princess. After entering into this realm, a curse is placed on Link - he becomes cursed with the Dark Triforce of Courage, which may give Link the power to expel good magic.

Combine both the Dark and Light Triforce of Courage and you get a reaction similar to opposite sides of a magnet - they attract each other. Both attracting each other pushes at the fabric of Link and "flattens" him out, thus creating the new Merge ability that allows Link to travel along the wall to get into spots otherwise un-reachable. This essentially makes Link a "Link Between Worlds" since neither Triforce resides in the same world - the Light Triforce resides in the Light World while the Dark Triforce resides in the Dark World, both worlds having been confirmed to have a presence in the game.

A Link Between Worlds Merge Ability

So what about the Dark Triforce of Power and Wisdom? Well, that is where I will let you - our loyal viewers - chime in. Let us know what your view is on the theory and what you think could become of the Dark Triforce of Power and Wisdom. Do you think they could be obtained by Princess Zelda and Ganon? What about a new villain? Perhaps when the world split - so did Princess Zelda and now a Dark Princess Zelda wonders the worlds? With A Link Between Worlds due out sometime in November this year, it is only a matter of months before we may finally know of the existence of the Dark Triforce.

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Google Plus, and Twitter to receive up to the minute updates from us.

News from Around the Net

Comments:

Garrett Boyle on 6/24/2013 10:31:08 AM
Hey, thanks for linking to my article. How exactly such a thing as the Dark Triforce will come about is something I am willing to wait for in order to find out about. Based on the logo, it seems like a direction the story might be heading. If not, the image is needlessly raising questions that Nintendo knew fans would ask. I do not like to go into too many details with my theories. I just base them off of what I can see, so I do not have a theory about the Dark Triforce other than that it might be in the next game.

God Robert's Cousin on 6/24/2013 2:30:31 PM
First off, magnets of opposite polarities attract, not repel. That is basic science, my friend.

Second off, the dark world was where the sacred realm used to be, which was where the supposed Light Triforce resided. That means there would be no room for a Dark Triforce. The Goddesses did not have an opposite to speak of, as Demise and the rest of the demons were sealed away at the time and Ganon's power never reaches that of a god's. Therefore, the sudden creation of a Dark Triforce is so left-field that it's likely that the theory holds no legitimacy. Seriously, we've gotten 16 Zelda games prior to this. If there was any sort of higher evil than the Demon Lord himself, we would have gotten it long ago. Amending some sort of Dark Din, Nayru, Farore trio out of nowhere would be quite the ass-pull on their part.

Finally, if the Triforce really does have any sort of Light/Dark alignment, why is it that the Triforce of Power is almost always given to Ganon? Two powers of good and one power of evil is definitely not something you would find in the "Light-side" of something. If you're about to counterargue that with the idea of the Dark Triforce's piece of Power being the only good piece, why isn't Link's signature mechanic in this game more powerful than turning into a drawing? If the Dark Triforce of Power was really protagonistic, it would show through Link.

Austin Dickson on 6/24/2013 2:45:32 PM
@God Robert's Cousin One of the developers did say there would be a big surprise in the beginning of the game so I don't think a Dark Triforce being present would be too far fetched. Game logo's usually show some aspect of the game if history is to be believed. You can look at each of the Zelda logo's and see that they did indeed have something to do with the story of the game.

ClearAster on 6/24/2013 6:20:48 PM
That's a really good theory, which is also pretty possible, but that would mean that lik has both, the light and the dark triforce of courage, which sounds not possible at all, what about if the dark triforce of courage is holded by the Dark Master Sword Holder (the sword used by demise in the last fight with link in Skyward Sword http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/011/4/2/demise__s_sword_01112012_by_blueamnesiac-d4m0olx.png ) because, if you see closely, the Demise's Sword has an inverted triforce on it

Ivan Villasana on 6/25/2013 11:01:42 AM
Although I like the theory, I don't understand why Ganon has the Light Triforce of Power because, as you said, it is used against the dark forces, and Ganon is one of them. So Ganon actually has the Dark Triforce of Power (this is supported by Demise, because his Dark Master Sword has a Dark Triforce), which is used against light forces (Link, Zelda, and many others), but it shows in the series that he has the light part. I think the answer is about time that we get to play the game, but can someone please try to explain me that?

MarioFreak 64 on 6/26/2013 10:38:03 AM
@Ivan Villasana---I too have wandered about that possibility and have a few thoughts on it. There may be a Dark Triforce, but there could be a chance that it is just a symbol. Seeing as though Demise was after the original Triforce for world domination to start with, the Dark Triforce on his sword could merely be a rebel sign, showing that his is against all good.

BUT...if there were to be a Dark Triforce, then a theory could be that Demise had already attained it but that it was locked away or dispersed when the rest of Demise was absorbed into the Master Sword, meaning that Ganon is just a manifestation of his hatred and not a reincarnation. They could be two different villains, or halves, that could come together to recreate Demise and the Dark Triforce. What I think is that if this possibility is true, then both versions of the Triforce could come together to make one world changing weapon.

As for my opinion on the "link" between the Dark Triforce and this game, it could be that, seeing as though everything is mirrored in both worlds, the Dark Master Sword could make a comeback, revealing another part of this complicated story line and a key to his possible power.

stan423321 on 6/26/2013 4:04:32 PM
I guess this was boosted by your theory regarding origins of Dark Triforce, but how did you get to assumption it has to have the same elements "Light Triforce" has? Because the first thing I expected was you detailing the other elements, forming some kind of corresponding trio. No offense or anything, but I will be really, really surprised if they go with Dark Triforces of Power, Wisdom and Courage.

Austin Dickson on 6/27/2013 2:44:45 AM
@stan423321 There was no "real" reasoning why I came to that assumption - I just was thinking that the "Light Triforce" had 3 parts so maybe the "Dark Triforce" has the same 3 parts except being more "Dark Arts" oriented.

Schwartz Ichenbachen on 6/28/2013 9:21:00 AM
This is an interesting theory, but you must keep in mind that the existing Triforce is impartial, so any evil Triforce would be illogical.

???? on 7/4/2013 11:01:56 AM
I suspect that the dark triforce probably has a connection to ALBW being that Aonuma said in a interview that there was going to be a "big surprise" for Zelda fans and ALTTP ones and he mentions that fans can see what happened to the characters straight after the events in ALTTP.

HylianSwordsman on 8/7/2013 11:55:41 AM
Dark Triforce confirmed! Iwata said so in the latest Direct! Take that, naysayers.

Comment:

Author: